Friday

Cake day


It's Friday. A little respite before the next commissions. It's sunny and warm so have already planted the hostas, sweet peas and white delphiniums. From a bare and somewhat depressing garden, we now have the beginnings of something really rather lovely. Box and lavender controls what I hope will be a mad spilling over of all my favourite plants. Honeysuckle climbs next to an old fashioned rambler although methinks it will be next summer that the roses come into their own. We have hydrangeas and lambs tongues and all manner of scented herbs. A large seed parcel is arriving in the next day or so for the last minute summer flowers and I've ordered the white lavender which I've always coveted but have never had before. I've made a very crude bench in a hidden sunny spot. Three piles of bricks and a piece of of wood leftover from the kitchen bench. It suits its purpose beautifully and I'm really rather pleased to have made something lovely and useful out of nothing.

We have the beginnings of our lettuce and peas, broad beans and tomatoes climbing towards the sun - what a happy day when the first harvest comes.

This post was meant to be about cake, but I am somewhat distracted by the joy that 50 foot of greenery can bring.
I hope you make the most of the sunshine this weekend. Now that my family has gone back to New Zealand, we have a weekend of lovely lunches, dinners and drinks with friends that we haven't seen. 

Plus its the Dulwich Festival- I'll be heading to Julian Stairs studio and Hannah James for the artist open days, as well as enjoying the fete on Goose Green. We might be able to squeeze in an antique shop or too in Hastings on Saturday or swing by Sissinghurst.

Happy days...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there
Great to have your comment!