Thursday

Chocolate Cake


It's film night tonight. Lily and I jump on the bus up to Julia's house. There, a bunch of girls meet, eat and watch movies from the 80's. Top Gun, Pretty in Pink - all so very very bad, but fantastic. I bake. I fear I cannot stop this as it just wouldn't feel right. Tonight  - the chocolate cake that is a favourite in our funny little family. Not too chocolatey and doesn't require a trip to the supermarket if you have a normal pantry ( don't feel bad if you don't have one ).

175g butter, softened
1 t vanilla essence
1 3/4 C sugar
3 eggs (room temperature)
1/2 C cocoa
2 C plain flour
2 t baking powder
1 C milk

Cream butter, vanilla essence and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Sift cocoa, flour and baking powder together.

Add to creamed mixture alternatively with milk ( I must admit I put it all in together, but if this is your first time, follow the instructions to the letter, until the day you can make this cake with your eyes closed).

Pour mixture into a greased and lined 22cm round cake tin.

Bake at 180C for 30 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly touched.

Leave in the tin for ten minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.

When cold ice, or dust with icing sugar ( I'm going for the second option tonight as girls and cake.... well... )

Ta da!

Recipe from me, image from the lovely Donna Hay

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there
Great to have your comment!