Wednesday

Tiles


I'm fanatical about tiles, especially in London weeny sized kitchens and bathrooms. I'm also fanatical about hand-made and local sourced, and honest and i like the idea of supporting small businesses where possible. I want the tiles in our new kitchen and bathroom to bring cheer,to champion handmade and to turn 'bijouxness' into jewellery box, albeit a very clean one. I'm fairly sure on the tiles I'll be buying and I'll be travelling to Suffolk to the tile maker to select each and every one. This house is going to have a whole lot of love poured into it and not a whiff of mdf.

On my travels to find the perfect tile, these are my favourite finds. The first tile about is from Heath Ceramics. These tiles are cleverly half matt, half glazed. I've written about Heath before and every time I see their work I am inspired. 


And then there is Emery et Cie. In the UK they are based at Retrouvius in London. Beautiful Moroccan zelliges. Handmade and truly beautiful tiles.


Grove Brickworks from Waterworks in the States. Handmade brick tiles beautifully glazed. If they were made here I would have chosen these.


Here they are. Handmade Suffolk clay tiles from Alice Gibbons.
Each tile is handmade and glazed, so that you can see the mark of the maker.

Very excited. Flooring next......

1 comments:

Alison said...

Oh my. I'm loving all these but especially the Alice Gibbons ones. Just so beautiful. Wish I owned my own house just so I could use them in my perfect kitchen or bathroom.

Post a Comment

Hi there
Great to have your comment!