Friday

Food is love - My mums scones


My mum came to visit me last month. I hadn’t seen her for a year and it was really lovely. Choosing to live away from your family is an incredibly hard decision, not the least of which is not seeing my nieces grow up and conversely worrying about my mum getting older.

When my sisters and I were kids, one of my best memories was mum making us scones after school – date, sultana or cheese. We got to chat to her and tell her about school and any other stuff. She worked a lot, through necessity, so it was a special time for me.

She’s a demon scone maker – I wish I'd got her to rustle up a batch when she was here – both for the scones and the chat. The classic recipe comes from Edmonds cookbook – it’s been around for 90 years. I remember my nanas copy, my mums copies and now I have mine in London. Already four birthday cakes have been made with much success.

Food really is love.

SCONES
3 cups plain flour
75g butter
¼ teaspoon salt
6 teaspoons baking powder
1- 1 ½ cups milk, approximately
extra milk

Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Cut butter in until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add milk and mix quickly with a knife to a soft dough. Knead a few times. Lightly dust an oven tray with flour. Press scone dough out onto this. Cut into 12 even-sized pieces. Leave a 2cm space between scones. Brush tops with extra milk. Bake at 220C for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Cheese scones – add ¾ c grated cheese to flour
Date scones – add ¾ c chopped dates, 1 T sugar and ½ t of cinnamon to flour
Sultana – add ¾ c sultanas to flour

Image from Donna Hay - the queen of food love!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there
Great to have your comment!